El Banco de Aguascalientes
The first bank to open a branch in Aguascalientes was that of Zacatecas, in 1897, though its notes already circulated and were accepted in the most important shops. In July 1897 the board of that bank asked the Aguascalientes Congress for certain tax exemptions for the branch that it proposed to set up in the capital and, having received themdecree núm. 856 dated 10 July 1897[text needed], began operation on 1 September. The Banco de Londres y México opened a branch in August 1903 and the Banco Nacional de México at the end of 1904.
El Banco de Aguascalientes
Meanwhile a group of investors from San Luis Potosí, on 29 April 1902, obtained the concession to establish the Banco de Aguascalientes. The authorised capital was $600,000, divided into 6,000 shares (acciones) of $100 each, and the purchase of 50 shares was a requsite for a seat on the Board of Directors. Thus each man whose signature appears as Consejero (Board Member) on the notes was a person of some means who owned at least $5,000 in shares in the bank.
This bank opened its doors on 29 August 1902.
In addition to the main offices in Aguascalientes, there was a branch in Guadalajara, Jalisco.
In January 1909 it was announced that the Banco de Jalisco has secured control of the Banco de Aguascalientes by the purchase of 5,000 of the 6,000 shares that had been issued but apart from the closure of the bank's branch in Guadalajara no change was contemplated for the bank's managementThe Oasis, Nogales, Arizona, Second Series, Vol. XII, No. 11, 16 Jan 1909. However, at a meeting of stockholders held on 28 January a new board was elected to replace the directors from San Luis Potosí. The new board was composed of Eugenio Cuzin, Aurelio G. Hermosillo, Augusto Brun, Abraham Gallardo and José Pacheco, all from Guadalajara, as vocales propietarios and Luis Barrón, Francisco Bernal, J. G. Ortega, Gualterio Eikel and Felipe Torres as vocales suplentesThe Mexican Herald, 3 February 1909: El Diario, 3 February 1909.
When Carranza ordered a review of the banks of issue Augusto Brun, for the bank, argued that it was only the loans imposed by Huerta that meant the bank had breached the conditions of its concession and asked for a few months' grace to rectify the situation but on 15 December 1915 the Comisión Reguladora e Inspectora declared that the bank had forfeited its concession.
The bank was finally liquidated in 1921.
American Bank Note Company print runs
The ABNC engraved special vignette (C 252) for a portrait of Pedro José Garcia Rojas, first governor of the Federal territory of Aguascalientes (1836)Antonio López de Santa Anna led his troops to Aguascalientes on 1 March 1835 and stayed at the home of Pedro José García Rojas. At a reception ball given by Rojas, the President asked his host’s wife, Maria Luisa Villa de García Rojas, for a kiss telling her that, in exchange, he would give her whatever she requested. In response to this, she gave him a kiss on his cheek in the middle of the room and said: “I haven’t been able to contain myself, thrilled by the formal promise of the General to give liberty to Aguascalientes”. On 23 March 1835, twenty-two days later, the acceptance of Aguascalientes as a territory was decreed. The first governor was Pedro José García Rojas., to appear on the $5 and $1,000 notes and of the church of San Marcos (C 849) to appear on all the faces. The female on the $100 note was stock image C 773, whilst stock image C 774 appears on all backs..
The first printing (F 48) was
For the original print the date line "Aguascalientes _______ 19__" was engraved on the plates. This was removed from two plates before the second printing (F 2529).