During the Revolution small denomination coinage disappeared, causing great difficulty for people to buy goods and make change. By 1915 matters had become so bad that Salvatierra, like many other municipalities in Guanajuato, was authorized by the Governor of the state, General Pablo M. de la Garza, to issue its own paper currency, or cartones.
According to a noteASalvatierra, Municipal, caja 1915 of Tesorero Municipal Tiburcio Lira the total issued was $2,873.87 and by 7 December 1915 $1,913.62 had been withdrawn from circulation, leaving $960.25 still in circulation. However, a later reportASalvatierra, Municipal, caja 1915 by his successor as Tesorero Municipal, Miguel Ortiz, states that the issue was composed thus:
The issue was supposedly guaranteed by documents held in the Tesorería Municipal. These were probably drafts from José Villa, in charge of the Hacienda de San José del Carmen, and the owners of the Maravatío and San Nicolás haciendas, who received the notes.
The notes were printed and numbered by the Tipografia Mariana, then located at calle Hidalgo número 88, under the supervision of José Nieto Morales.
Of the five denominations we have examples of just two, the five and ten centavos. They are printed on pasteboard, measure 54mm by 29mm and carry the legend “LA TESORERIA Municipal del Distrito de Salvatierra PAGARA A LA VISTA AL PORTADOR” on the face and the national emblem, date “Octubre 12 de 1914” and the fact that they are “Valido para todo el Distrito” on the reverse.
San Luis de la Paz
San Luis de la Paz, and its surrounding municipality of the same name, is a city located in the northeastern part of the state
One or two series
San Miguel de Allende
The Tesoreria Municipal issued temporary notes, in the names of president municipal Cayetano Zamora and Jefe de Armas, Capitán 1o Pedro. A. Segura, backed by a deposit and of forced circulation within San Miguel de Allende.
A 50 centavo note is knowninformation and images from Alejandro of Monedas y Medallas de Palma (www.monedasymedallasdepalma.com), a family owned shop in Mexico City.