Mining companies in Tlalpujahua
Tlalpujahua is located in the far northeast of the state. It is one of a group of mining communities in this area, along with Angangueo and El Oro, in Estado de México. Tlalpujahua is the home of the Dos Estrellas mine, which was the leading producer of gold in the early 20th century. A major landslide of mud and mining debris damaged this mine and buried about one-third of the town in 1937, effectively ending mining.
During the revolution only El Oro Mining and Railway Co.; Esperanza Ltd.; Mexican Mines of El Oro Ltd. and the Compañía Minera Las Dos Estrellas en El Oro y Tlalpujahua managed to continue operating, though intermittently, and the armed movements and insurrections of various factions interrupted communications with the centre and north of the country.
Compañía Minera “las Dos Estellas”
This company was formed on 19 September 1898 with French capital (the Banque Franco-egyptienne and Crédit Lyonnais). It participated in the mining boom that lasted until just before the revolution, then operated on a smaller scale until 1937 when it was effectively nationalized, passing into the hands of a workers co-operative, the Cooperativa Minera “Las Dos Estrellas”. It went into liquidation in 1959.
On 4 March 1914 it was reported that the company was paying its workers with vales, which has increased the lack of trust between some stores and the workersEl Diario, 4 March 1914. Another Mexico City newspaper reported in April 1914 that the company had issued vales for one peso and less to counter the lack of tostones and fractional money. They used it to pay their workers who in turn spent it with local busineses. The businesses, once they had accumulated a certain amount, redeemed the vales with the companyEl País, 16 April 1914; The Mexican Herald, 17 April 1914.
Known series are:
|50c||20 January 1914||I||00001||J M Corona||Andre Griffiths||large facsimile sigs||includes numbers 00223 to 00227CNBanxico #5238|
|/20 January 1914||J||small facsimile sigs|
|/20 January 1914||K|
|/20 January 1914||L|
|/20 January 1914||M|
|8 August 1914/20 January 1914||N|
|20 January 1914||O||20000||includes numbers 02128CNBanxico #5239 to 19868CNBanxico #5240|
|P||20001||includes number 20091|
|$1||20 January 1914||A||00001||J M Corona
||large facsimile sig||includes number 00407|
|8 August 1914/20 January 1914
||Andre Griffiths||small facsimile sigs|
|C||includes number 19751CNBanxico #5245|
|1 December 1914||E|
|G||includes numbers 04987CNBanxico #5243 to 18961|
|H||includes numbers 06486CNBanxico #5242 to 15780CNBanxico #11596|
|1 February 1915
||Q||includes number 03738CNBanxico #5244|
|S||includes number 08024CNBanxico #11597|
|T||includes number 02718|
The facsimile signatures are of J M Corona and Andre Griffiths.
|J M Corona|
The company ultimately issued $320,000. It began to redeem them once communications were reestablished but only in part. By May 1917 a large amount was still outstanding so the governor, General José Rentería Luviano, ordered the company to set up an office to redeem its notes at a rate of 25%, in oro nacional, of their face value. The office should publish notices in the local and national press to hand in their vales by 30 June, and the collected notes should be incinerated during the first days of July. As the company had issued the notes without official authorisation he also imposed a fine of $32,000 (10% of the total issued)AMMor, caja 39 A, exp. 35.
The workers at the mine were upset by this ruling and at the end of June sent a deputation to Mexico City to petition their representative, Enrique Parra. Parra talked to the Oficial Mayor at the Secretaria de Hacienda, which paused the redemptions, and to Carranza himselfEl Pueblo, 2 July 1917. The Secretaría decided that the company should redeem its notes at a rate of 54 centavos, oro nacional, for each peso, giving the Comisión Monetaria responsibility for overseeing the exchangeEl Demócrata, 5 August 1917: El Pueblo, Año III, Núm. 998, 8 August 1917.
Compañía Minera “La Lucha y Anexas”, S. A.
This company was registered on 22 April 1904, with a capital of $360,000.
During the revolution this company issued a series of locally-produced notes, signed by M Romero as Cajero and Anderson as Gerente with various dates from 3 October 1914, thus
|series||date on note||from||to||total
|5c||E||3 October 1914||includes number 000255|
|50c||B||7 November 1914||includes number 005287|
|$1||A||7 November 1914||includes numbers 006741 to 007426CNBanxico #11588|
|A||5 December 1914||includes number 9477|
Another series, also dated 3 October 1914. The notes are signed by [ ][identification needed] as Cajero and [ ][identification needed] as Gerente, and redeemable in multiples of five pesos. On decreasing values the series letter on the left is A to E, whilst the series letter on the right spells LUCHA, so 5c E-A, 10c D-H, 20c C-C, 50c B-U, $1 A-L.
|series||date on note||from||to||total
|5c||E A||3 October 1914||0001||includes numbers 0560 to 4954CNBanxico #5235|
|10c||D H||includes numbers 1801CNBanxico #5236 to 2504|
|20c||C C||0001||includes numbers 0092CNBanxico #5237 to 2958|
|50c||B U||0001||includes numbers 0036CNBanxico #11592 to 1396|
|$1||A L||includes numbers 5559CNBanxico #5233 to 25195CNBanxico #5234|
includes number 31210CNBanxico #11594