El Banco de Nuevo León
On 5 August 1891 the Secretario de Hacienda agreed a contract with Francisco Olivares and Manuel Peniche, representing a group of local investorsthe most prominent were Evaristo Madero who contributed $260,000, Marcelino Garza ($50,000), General Gerónimo Treviño ($30,000), Rómulo Larralde ($25,000) and Viviano L. Villarreal ($24,000), to establish a bank of issue in Monterrey with a capital of $600,000 and the right to set up branches in Nuevo León, Coahuila and Tamaulipas. The bank began operations on 1 October 1892 at 17 calle del Comercio (today Morelos).
As a consequence of the Ley General de Instituciones de Crédito of 1897 the bank entered into a new concession, which was approved by Congress on 22 November 1897.
American Bank Note Company print runs
Antonio V. Hernández was commissioned by the board to contact the American Bank Note Company regarding the printing of notes The board determined to issue notes of $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100 and $500, up to the stipulated maximum of $1,800,000, though in fact the $2 note was never produced. Hernández left for New York on 30 April 1892 and returned on 11 June.
The American Bank Note Company engraved special vignettes of Ignacio Zaragoza (C 193), the arms of Monterrey (C 477), a view of Monterrey (C476) and of a river and mountain (the Santa Catarina river and Cerro de la Silla) (C 475).
For the next printing the title "El Cajero" was changed to "El Gerente".
For the next printing the dateline "Monterrey ______18__" was changed to "Monterrey ______19__" .
When Huerta allowed banks to issue $1 and $2 notes the Banco de Nuevo León, since it had received $1 notes from the ABNC in the past, ordered a new batch,wth "El Cajero' altered to "El Gerente" and the dateline changed to 19__.
The bank orderedthe bank later claimed that it had only asked for a quotation, but that the ABNC made a mistake and printed the notes (ABNC, letter to Charles Blackmore, Resident Agent, Mexico City, 3 April 1916) another 50,000 $1 notes in May 1914 but these were never delivered and destroyed in October 1924.
Guerrero was appointed Interventor on 18 August 1892.
|J. J. Farías|
|Jeronimo Treviño Galindo|
Viviano L. Villarreal y González was a stock-holder in many industrial and mining firms as well as a practicing lawyer and a politician who was governor of Nuevo León on two occasions.
He was the brother of Felicitos Villarreal, secretary of the treasury under the Convention, in 1914-1915.
|Constantino de Tárnava|
|Marcelino Garza was a businessman from Saltillo who controlled the Compañía Industrial Saltillera, associated with Evaristo Madero’s Compañía Industrial de Parras in the Compañia Industrial del Norte, S. A.|
|Andres Martinez Cardenas|
Ernesto Madero took over as managing director on 10 September 1899 and left on 9 July 1908.
Madero was from the powerful, regional Madero family He was born in Parras, Coahuila on 12 October 1872, the son of Evaristo Madero and uncle of the future president, Franciso I. Madero. He was a businessman and large landowner and served as Secretario de Hacienda from 26 May 1911 until 18 February 1913.
After the decena trágica he fled to the United States. He died in Mexico City on 2 February 1958.
|Rodolfo J. García took over as managing director on 9 July 1908 but resigned in January 1911, supposedly for reasons of health. In fact he had learnt that Enrique Martínez Sobral, Jefe del Departamento de Crédito y Comercio of the local Secretaría de Hacienda, was going to take over the bank’s management, though on learning of the intrigue Sobral declined the invitation. However, Javier Larrea, the Interventor, then took over. Larrea was forced to resign as manager on 22 May 1911, following the fall of Porfirio Díaz, and García took over but resigned on 2 October 1911 when he assumed the office of Primero Magistrato Municipal.|
|Rodolfo M. Garza|
see in Presidente above
|Antonio V. Hernández was the bank’s first manager. He left the bank on 31 August 1899 after certain disagreements and went to work for the Banco Mercantil de Monterrey.|