Signatories of the Banco Oriental de México
Juan Enrique Meyer
Meyer was appoined at the second board meeting on 4 January 1900AGN, SC224 Antiguos Bancos de Emisión, caja 818, libro 1488. He was required to give a surety for $20,000, in a policy provided by the American Surety Company's branch in Mexico City. Meyer resigned at the beginning of May 1901AGN, SC224 Antiguos Bancos de Emisión, caja 818, libro 1488 minutes of board 9 May 1901.
|Ricardo Serrano was the cashier (cajero) but signed some 4,700 notes in June 1901AGN, SC224 Antiguos Bancos de Emisión, caja 1408, libro 1900|
|Francisco de Aguilar|
Manuel Rivero Collada was born in Asturias, Spain on 19 August 1862. In the late 1880s he emigrated to Puebla to oversee the businesses of his father-in-law, Alejandro Quijano y González and in 1898 he formed Quijano y Rivero, with the aim of exploiting the hacienda “El Mayorazgo”, which grew to become one of the most important textile factories in the country.
In 1900 Rivero Collada, with a group of fellow Spaniards, founded the Banco Oriental de México, becoming its president in 1902. In 1902 he was also involved in the establishment of the Banco de Oaxaca, which merged with the Banco Oriental in 1909. He was also a member of the Junta Directiva of the Banco Central Mexicano, an institution established in Mexico City to protect the interests of the regional banks and to act as a clearing house for the banknotes of the different banks.
In 1904 he formed another bank, the Descuento Español, of which he was principal founding shareholder and president of the Consejo de Administración. He was also president of the Consejo de Administración of the Banco Español Refaccionario, created in 1911.
He was Spanish vice-consul from 1903 until 1915.
At the start of the Revolution Collada’s financial interests and political connections, together with anti-Spanish sentiment, made him a target of the revolutionaries. On 26 April 1911 the workers in his textile factories accused him of using Banco Oriental funds to support the Porfirista candidate for governor, Rafael Isunza, and in August 1911 he was accused of helping Bernardo Reyes in his opposition to Madero. He was again accused of involvement in politics, despite being a Spaniard, and mistreatment of his workers on 6 November 1914 and had to seek the help of the new governor, Francisco Coss, to stop the investigation.
With the Banco Oriental closed and about it have its concession cancelled, at the beginning of 1916 Rivero Collada returned to Seville, Spain, where he started new busineses and acquired the title of Conde de la Mesada. After the Revolution he managed to recover some of his properties in Mexico and the Banco Oriental and the Banco Refaccionario restarted operations, though they closed in the 1930s.
Rivero Collada died in Seville on 23 November 1927.
Leopoldo Gavito signed the first 400 $5 notes of the bank.
Leopoldo Gavito ran his family businesses in Puebla (a textile factory, corn mill and Santa Cruz Guadalupe ranch and the Hacienda de Zavaleta) and in Tlaxcala (La Tlaxcalteca and El Valor factories), as well as being a founder, shareholder and director of the Compañía Industrial de Atlixco, S.A. and owner of the large Metepec factory. But he also served as presidente municipal of Puebla, almost continuously from 1894 to 1902.
Agustín de la Hidalga
The de la Hidalga were some of the wealthiest hacendados in the state, since they had large estates in Atlixco and Matamoros that produced highly valued products, such as sugar cane which was turned into panela, sugar and alcohol in their own mills.
|José Villar Parás|
|Alberto de la Fuente Cabrales|
Angel Solana Alonso was born in 1856 in Bustablado, Santander. He amassed a fortune through investing in textiles in Puebla and Tlaxcala.
He was also the third most important shareholder in the Banco Español Refaccionario, with 3,200 shares, behind Manuel Rivero Collada and Manuel Rangel who had 4,000 each.
|Vicente Gutiérrez Palacios had agricultural properties but above all represented the interests of Alejandro Quijano, who had returned to his native Spain without liquidating his important business in Puebla (the textile factory "El Mayorazgo", with its huge hacienda and its wheat mill) and in Oaxaca (where his company mainly operated the trade of imports and exports and cabotage between Pacific ports).|
Santos Letona Rueda was the son of Santos López de Letona y Apoita who came from Bilbao, Vizcaya, Spain and was of the first to invest in textiles, setting up the “La Josefina” factory in Zacatelco. In 1888 with Santiago Aréchaga and José Alvarez Valenciano, he formed “S. Letona y Compañía”, which ran the Zacatelco factory and another, “La Concepción”, as well as holding shares in the Compañía Industrial de Atlixco, owners of the textile factory at Metepec. He sold his goods through the almacén “La América” in Puebla.
López de Letona was also a shareholder in the Banco Español Refaccionario.
Santos returned to Spain around 1890 but continued to run his businesses in Mexico, first through his son-in-law Santiago Aréchaga, and later though his sons, Santos and Emiliano de Letona y Rueda.
Ramón Gavito Noriega
Leopoldo Gavito Urdapilleta was the son of Florencio Gavito, a Spaniard originally from Piedra, Asturias. In 1883 Florencio Gavito, with Leopoldo, founded the firm F. Gavito e hijo, to exploit the mill and factory of Santa Cruz Guadalupe, in Cholula, Puebla, which Florencio had been involved in since 1870. In addition the company acquired the textile factories “El Valor” and “La Tlaxcalteca”. When Florencio died in 1893, Leopoldo took over these businesses and expanded them. He became a shareholder and director of the Compañía Industrial de Atlixco, owners of the textile factory at Metepec, inaugurated in September 1902.
|J. Mariano Bello|
[a Santiago Arechaga was a director]
|Francisco Lozano Z.|
|Jacob Lucas Grandison|
The most impotant hatshop in Puebla was the Gran Sombrerería Francesa, founded in 1865 by Bartolomé Rebattu. During the Porfiriate it was run, in succession, by the firms “Esmenjaud y Couttolenc”, “Couttolenc y Esmenjaud”, “I. Couttolenc y Hermano” and “I. Couttolenc e hijos”. It sold imported goods as well as hats made in its own factory, which employed 38 workers in 1906Maurice Proal y Pierre Martin-Charpenel, L 'Empire des Barcelonnettes du Mexique, p. 50.
In 1896 Isidoro Couttolenc was a shareholder in A. Reynaud y Compañía, owners of Las Fábricas Universales, one of the most reputable clothing and novelty warehouses in Mexico City.