The revolution in San Luis Potosí
In San Luis Potosí the Provisional Governor, Emiliano G. Saravia, received a telegram on 16 March 1915 instructing him to replace the Gobierno Provisional notes with Chihuahua, as funds permitted. On 31 March he forbad all Carranzista currency except the low-value cartones which were to be used until a new issue of fractionals could be madePeriódico Oficial, 3 April 1915. On 13 April circular núm. 14 listed the notes that were of forced circulation including the sábanas of 25c, 50c and $1 and the dos caritas: this was repeated the next day by the Prefecto Regional, A. B. Cortes. Disowning the Carrancista notes must have caused trouble as on 21 April the Administrador Principal de Rentas, Francisco Gandara, announced that the Governor had agreed that in the case of people who were notoriously poor his office would for the next five days exchange the nullified notes for dos caritas. The exchange was to take place in the old Banco de San Luis building. People would need two witnesses to attest to their poverty and confirm that the notes were their own, and a limit of ten pesos (in multiples of five pesos since the office did not have enough one peso notes) was fixed for each personPeriódico Oficial, 24 April 1915.
Circular núm. 48 was published in San Luis Potosí on 15 December 1915. On 27 December Carranza ordered the Governor of San Luis Potosí to remind the public that the Ejercito Constitucionalista notes were still of forced circulation: the subsequent decree was published on 10 January 1916.