Advertisements on Chihuahua notes - Banks, currency exchange and brokers
By February 1915 there were around 20 so-called exchange banks in existence in El Paso which dealt exclusively in Mexican paper currency and, because of the enforced use of paper money by Mexicans in Mexico, did a great volume of businessEl Paso Herald, 6 February 1915.
Normal banks also used these notes as a marketing medium.
[ ] Bush, El Paso
GENUINE / MEXICAN MONEY / ANY AMOUNT / [ ] BUSH / BOX [ ]45 / EL PASO TEX in a circle, known on $1 Banco del Estado de Chihuahua.
This might have been a broker or, more likely, a curios shop.
'CHIHUAHUA EXCHANGE / EL PASO, TEXAS / The Largest Importers and / Handlers of Mexican Cattle /V. B. ANDRES, President' , known on $1 dos caritas
In 1915 the Chihuahua Exchange, with V. B. Andreas as one of the owners, was at 205 City National Bank building, 102 Pioneer Plaza.
Bank of Columbia, South Carolina
CURRENCY / ISSUED BY THE MEXICAN BANDIT / VILLA / A SOUVENIR FROM / THE BANK OF COLUMBIA / COLUMBIA, S. C., known on $1 Banco del Estado de Chihuahua.
Commercial National Bank
'COMMERCIAL NATIONAL BANK/ EL PASO, TEXAS/ We Invite your Correspondence/Special Attention to Southwestern Collections/Resources $1,000,000.00', known on $1 Banco del Estado
In January 1915 the Commercial National Bank was at 107 Texas: in March 1916 it moved to a Henry C. Trost designed building on the the corner of North Mesa Street and Mills Avenue. From 1918 to 1922 the bank was known as Security Bank & Trust Co and in 1925 became the El Paso National Bank.
First National Bank, El Paso
'COMPLIMENTS/of/FIRST NATIONAL BANK/El Paso, Texas/Capital and Surplus/$1,000,000.00' (vertical), known on $1, $10 dos caritas
'COMPLIMENTS/of/FIRST NATIONAL BANK/EL Paso, Texas/Capital and Surplus/$1,000,000.00' (vertical), known on $10 dos caritas
'Compliments/of/FIRST NATIONAL BANK/EL PASO TEXAS' (vertical), known on $1, $5, $10 and $20 dos caritas
The First National Bank left its premises at 202 South El Paso Street/100 East San Antonio Avenue in 1914, when it merged with the American National Bank. It moved to the First National Bank Building.
[ ] Bank, Los Angeles
'SOUVENIR FROM/THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF NOGALES/NOGALES, ARIZONA', known on $5 dos caritas
In October 1915 it was reported that all the banks in Nogales were giving away Villa currency as souvenirsEl Paso Herald, 5 October 1915.
The First National Bank was located at . In 1912 a local newspaper reported that "The First National Bank of Nogales is one which might be emulated with profit by many far more pretentious. When the panic of 1907 struck Arizona it was almost the only financial institution in the state which met all its obligations without hesitation or reservation and paid all checks presented at its counter without giving out to depositors the admonition to draw lightly, nor did it limit the amounts drawn to small sums, as was the case with banks in Phoenix, Bisbee, Tucson, Douglas and other places; and, for that matter, all over the United StatesThe Oasis, 25 December 1912".
First National Bank, Mobridge
'Write us for low prices of cheap land on easy terms / First National Bank / Mobridge, South Dakota', known on $5 dos caritas
This bank opened in 1930.
Trust Company of Fulton County
'COMPLIMENTS / TRUST CO. of FULTON CO.' in box, known on $1 dos caritas
This trust company, located at Church and Main Streets, Gloversville, New York, was established in 1917.
'INTERNATIONAL EXCHANGE AND COMMISSION CO, EL PASO', known on $1 dos caritas
In 1915 the International Exchange and Commission Co, with Martin Falomir, Lic Guillermo Porras, and José Asunsolo as owners, was at 313 First National Bank Building: in June 1916 it moved to spacious offices at 324 South El Paso StreetPrensa, San Antonio, 23 July 1916.
J. W. Lorentzen & Co.
'J. W. LORENTZEN & CO./ MERCHANDISE BROKERS, EL PASO, TEX.', known on $1 dos caritas
J. W. Lorentzen & Co. first appeared in the 1920 directory, in the Mills building, Pioneer Plaza, northwest corner Oregon, and by 1950 had moved to 801-802 Bassett Tower, 301-313 Texas.
The Mills building stands on the original site of the 1832 Ponce de León ranch. Anson Mills hired Henry C. Trost, El Paso's foremost pioneer architect to design and construct the building. Completed in 1911, it was one of the largest all-concrete buildings then constructed.
'SOUVENIR/FROM/Nogales Exchange System/MORLEY Avenue 21 Tel. 49/NOGALES, ARIZONA' known on $1 dos caritas
Oklahoma Stock Yards National Bank
'VILLA CURRENCY/ NOT GOOD MONEY/DO NOT TRY TO PASS THIS/COMPLIMENTS OF/OKLAHOMA STOCK YARDS NATIONAL BANK/OKLAHOMA CITY/ASK US ABOUT/CATTLE LOANS', known on $1 dos caritas
The Oklahoma Stock Yards National Bank was first chartered in 1910 along with the opening of the Oklahoma City stockyards and two livestock packing plants, Morris & Co. and S & S Packing. The principal owner was Col. Edward Morris who also owned other banks, stockyards companies and other packing plants in the Midwest. The bank moved to downtown Oklahoma City in 1924.
Rio Grande Valley Bank & Trust Co.
'Compliments of / RIO GRANDE VALLEY BANK & TRUST CO. / EL PASO TEXAS.'
The Rio Grande Valley Bank & Trust Company also used postcards with dos caritas stuck on them and the inscription ‘$1.00 Bill All Kinds of Money in El Paso $1.00 Bill/$1.00 Bill Villa Mexican Currency $1.00’ around the border as a marketing ploy.
Constructed in 1910 as the Rio Grande Valley Bank Building, at 115 North Mesa Street, the Abdou Building, as it is known today, was renamed after being purchased by prominent businessmen Sam Abdou in 1925. Designed by Henry C. Trost, the beautifully detailed reinforced concrete building has no two sides parallel on the quadrilateral site.
Santa Cruz Valley Bank & Trust, Nogales
'COMPLIMENTS OF / Santa Cruz Valley Bank & Trust Co., / NOGALES, ARIZONA' known on a counterfeit $5 dos caritas
'SONORA EXCHANGE/Cambio de Dinero Mexicano al major Tipo/Avenida G No. 711 Douglas, Ariz.', known on $5 dos caritas
The Sonora Exchange And Commission Company had offices at Morley Avenue, Nogales, Arizona in late 1915Nogales Daily Herald, 23 October 1915.