Signatories of the Banco de San Luis Potosí
The (identifiable) signatures are Antonio Fernández Noval as Gerente and Eugenio Labarthe, Mariano Hernández Ceballos, Guillermo P. Peterson, Tomás Olavarría, Eduardo Meade and Matias Hernández Soberón as Consejero, This bank had several Inteventors: Luis G. Camacho, J. J. Farías, J. Teofilo Fonseca and Enrique Baz.
Matías Hernández Soberón had investments in a group of mining companies in the centre and north of the country. Married to Pilar Toranzo, he was the co-owner of the hacienda of Guanamé (Venado), of San¬to Domingo (Guadalcazar), of Peotillos (Villa de Arista),and of the Rancho de Tierra Nueva. He also held shares in industry (Compañía Industrial Cervecería de San Luis) and service companies (Compañía Constructora del Camino Carretero del Puerto de Tampico).
He was President from the founding of the bank in 1897 until his death in March 1907.
|Eugenio Labarthe was segundo vocal from 1908 to 1915 and primer vocal in 1916. Labarthe was the son of Celestino Labarthe, who was cajero of the branch of the Banco Mercantil Mexicano until 1882Periódico Oficial, 27 November 1882 and of Matilde Meade Lewis. While a boardmember he continued to have his own business, promoted as “Eugenio Labarthe, S. en C. Banqueros, Exportadores y Comisionistas”|
Mariano Hernández Ceballos was tercero vocal from 1900 to 1903, segundo vocal from 1904 to 1907, primer vocal from 1908 to 1915 and Vice-President in 1916.
Mariano Hernández Ceballos also owned 224 shares (4.48%) in the Banco de Guanajuato and 7% of the Banco de Aguascalientes.
|Guillermo R. Peterson was on the board as primer vocal from 1897 until 1903.|
|Tomás Olavarría was segundo vocal from 1897 to 1903, primero vocal from 1904 to 1907, Vice-President from 1908 to 1915, and finally President in 1916.|
Eduardo Meade was Vice-President from 1897 till 1907 and then President until 1915. The Meade family had come to Mexico from Ireland in the first half of the 19th century and developed interests in agriculture and mining. The firm Hermanos Meade, registered as “Casa de Federico J. y Eduardo Meade. Comerciantes, banqueros y comisionistas” was established in 1867.
Eduardo held 4.4% of the bank's shares. He also had shares in the Banco de Guanajuato and 14% of the Banco de Aguascalientes.
|J. Teofilo Fonseca|
|Juan J. Farías|
Luis G. Camacho
Camacho took over as Interventor on 7 July 1904Memoria de las Instituciones de Crédito correspondiente a los años de 1904-1906, vol. I, tomo 1